Sunday, March 27, 2011

Artificial Clouds


Most of us who are even somewhat connected to the world have heard that Qatar won the rights to host the 2022 World Cup Soccer tournament. Most of us also know that Qatar is located in the Middle East, and like most Middle Eastern countries, it gets insanely hot there during the summer, I’m talking 100 to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. If the World Cup had been held in the United States we would have had these things called clouds to keep the ground cool…..but there are none in Qatar. This did not sit well with the oil sheiks of Qatar so what did they decide to do? They are building artificial clouds…. Yes you heard me right; the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering department at Qatar University unveiled a design for a giant solar powered, remote controlled “cloud.” The cloud will be made of ultra-light materials that will allow it to be powered by 4 solar powered motors. I don’t know about you guys but I’m not sure I want a giant drone flying above my head at all times that is controlled by the country who is hosting the tournament and whose soccer team is under pressure to win the tournament while it is being hosted in their home. I mean, what if there happens to be a hole in the cloud right above the American goalie and he gets really tired from the heat allowing the opponent to win? Maybe im just paranoid but I’m defiantly not the only one…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger